Thursday, November 19, 2009

Hive Beetle

I recently discovered that my beehive had hive beetles in it. These pests are foreign to Australia and can eventually force the bees out of the hive. To remedy this I used two methods:

The first was to put black plastic underneath the hive. The beetle larvae need to bury themselves in the ground to complete their life cycle and this prevents them doing so.

The second method was to lay traps for the beetles. I put diatomaceious earth inside some little black traps that only the beetle could get inside. I can use these to get rid of the adult beetle.

You place the traps in-between the frames.

No comments:

Post a Comment