Friday, November 13, 2009

Beehive inspection and feeding

I inspected the beehives on Tuesday the 10th of November but have been working on improving my website (I'll update it soon) so I only just got around to creating this post. The purpose of this inspection was to see how the bees were doing, put another frame of foundation in each hive, bringing the total to eight, pit a protein patty in the hive, and finally to put a feeder frame in each hive with 1 kilogram of sugar dissolved in 1.4 litres of water.

As you can see on the picture of the frame below, there was plenty of brood in the hive which I was quite happy about.

Below is the picture of me putting a frame of foundation in the hive.

Finally how the hive looked after the frame, feeder, and protein patty were in place.

One thing that I did notice which I was concerned about was the fact that I found hive beetles in my beehive. You can see some of the ones I squashed in the picture below.

I went inside and called up the bee supplier to order some hive traps. In my next post I'll show what I did to get rid of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment